Some of my work on Updike was discussed on The Dish with Andrew Sullivan.
Some of my work on Ross Macdonald was discussed on Pretty Sinister Books.
Here is my interview with superstar music impresario Wendy Starland.
Here is my interview with Pulitzer Prize nominee Olympia Vernon.
Here is my interview with the editor of Best American Short Stories, Heidi Pitlor.
Here is my interview with acclaimed artist Emil Kazaz.
My musing on John D. Macdonald, Travis McGee, and the chicks was picked up on The Rap Sheet.

John D. MacDonald: Common Motifs & Characteristics in the Travis McGee Novels


Connect with Peter Quinones via Friend Request on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100009411814078






In reading through the first five Travis McGee novels by John D. MacDonald – The Deep Blue Good-By, Nightmare in Pink, A Purple Place for Dying, The Quick Red Fox, A Deadly Shade of Gold – I’ve tried to identify some characteristics and motifs that seem to repeat themselves.  The plots of these novels are extremely complicated at times; the characterizations are consistently razorsharp, perceptive, funny, and generally on point; but I think the underlying blueprints are what really give the tales their addictive readability. 
          Again, these only pertain to the first five books, which is how far I’ve gotten in my study, and I don’t claim for them any special importance or significance.

THE REFERRAL – Someone sends McGee the client.  He doesn’t find the client on his own.
THE WOMEN – The Travis McGee novels, in essence, are about his various kinds of relationships with various kinds of women.  The crime and recovery elements are almost incidental.
THE GROUP SCENE – Some sort of party or orgy figures importantly in the case.
THE MOTIVE FOR THE INITIAL CRIME  – Always greed, always lust for money – the other main motivations for criminal behavior, jealousy and revenge, are never present.
“DO YOU UNDERSTAND THAT?” – This, or a variant, is asked by McGee of the woman he has gotten romantically involved with in the course of the story, or she asks it of him, right before they break up.
THE SOCIAL COMMENTARY – Remarks, usually negative and disapproving, about the way society is going.
THE PHILOSOPHICAL COMMENTARY – Remarks about humanity and human nature on the whole. 






No comments:

Post a Comment