Some of my work on Updike was discussed on The Dish with Andrew Sullivan.
Some of my work on Ross Macdonald was discussed on Pretty Sinister Books.
Here is my interview with superstar music impresario Wendy Starland.
Here is my interview with Pulitzer Prize nominee Olympia Vernon.
Here is my interview with the editor of Best American Short Stories, Heidi Pitlor.
Here is my interview with acclaimed artist Emil Kazaz.
My musing on John D. Macdonald, Travis McGee, and the chicks was picked up on The Rap Sheet.

Robert Stone - Death of the Black Haired Girl

Just got my copy of Robert Stone's new novel, DEATH OF THE BLACK HAIRED GIRL.  It's short, like CHILDREN OF LIGHT and BAY OF SOULS.  A quick scan of the text shows many similarities between it, these two earlier shorter works, and the short story "Miserere".  Like Bellow's fascination with the Hermes necktie, DeLillo's huge repertoire of repeating motif-images, and Updike's endless meditative prose of the foot fetish, Stone hits on many of the same points, images, and concerns over and over throughout his fiction.  Hopefully I can have an 'essay-review' as John W. Aldridge used to call it, up here shortly.


No comments:

Post a Comment